Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
78 Mill Road. Image courtesy of Chris Harris.

78 Mill Road

B A Harris, Fishmonger in business at 78 Mill Road for more than 65 years.

The business was started by Captain Baptist Albert Harris when he retired from the sea in 1895. As a Master Mariner in the final days of ocean going sail, Captain Harris had plied the seas between Britain and South America in the three-masted barque ‘Eliza’, before settling in Mill Road for a shore-based career as a fishmonger, poulterer, dealer in game, egg and ice merchant.

Harris and his family lived firstly above the fishmonger’s shop and then at ‘Alexandra House’, 19 Mill Road, where he died in 1935.

Captain Harris was a stalwart member of the Plymouth Brethren meeting hall in Mawson Street, just around the corner from Mill Road. After his retirement, the ‘B A Harris, Fishmonger’ business was continued by his son Walter Harris until about 1960, when the shop was sold to the Co-op.

Closed Mace shop in August 2015, photo by Simon Middleton

Closed Mace shop in August 2015, photo by Simon Middleton

The Co-Op also bought No. 80 and combined the two in 1963. Later it traded as part of the Mace chain until 2015 when the site was purchased by Sainsbury’s.

Information supplied by Chris Harris.

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].