Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
216 Cherry Hinton Road

216 Cherry Hinton Road

History of 216 Cherry Hinton Road

The hairdressers, Mr F Bendall and his wife Mary, were interviewed by the Cambridge News in 1964.

Mrs Bendall was born in Cherry Hinton and remembers when the land opposite was used as a polo field. She had been in the hairdressing business since before 1932 but they opened their current premises during World War Two when they catered for both men and women and made a special feature of children’s hairdressing. By 1964 they had also visited about 70 Women’s Institutes giving talks and demonstrations of their work.

She commented that she thought that hairdressing had become less personal than it used to be but that the public had generally become more hygiene conscious and therefore went to the hairdresser’s more frequently than before.

Sources: Cambridge News (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].