Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
By Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, CC BY-SA 3.0 nl, https://commons.wikimedia.org

159 Cherry Hinton Road, 2 Middleton Terrace

History of 159 Cherry Hinton Road

1891:

Robert Proctor, 44, engine stoker, born Suffolk

Ellen, 40, born Glos.

Frank Watkinson, lodger, 8, born Cambridge

1901:

Edward Cowell, miller’s carman

Sarah A D

Donald J

Stanley A

Rosetta, mother, widow

1911:

Edward Cowell, 41, miller flour mill, born Cambs.

Sarah Ann Daisy, 39, born Cambs.

Donald John, 12, born New Cherryhinton

Stanley Arthur, 10, born New Cherryhinton

Basil Edward,7, born New Cherryhinton

Doris Maud, 4, born New Cherryhinton

Rosetta Olive, 1, born New Cherryhinton

Rosetta Cowell , mother, 73, widow, born Essex

Iris Cowell volunteered for the Red Cross from 1915-1918 at the First Eastern General Hospital.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

159 Cherry Hinton Road was for many years home of Cowells the builders. Edward Cowell is recorded in the census in 1901 and 1911 as a miller. By 1913 the property is in Mrs Cowell’s name.

At the bottom of their garden at 159 they created their workshops and expanded by buying parts of the garden on either side. This area of workshops was finally sold to the Swiss Laundry next door.

Tony Whitmore, a member of the family firm, talked in 2016 about his grandparents and the growth of the firm.


After his national service Tony went into business with his father. He had previously be apprenticed to the firm of Keating in Hills Road, based near the corner with Homerton Street. Here he talks about the work they did in those days:

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].