Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

The Paddocks, Cherry Hinton Road

History of The Paddocks, Cherry Hinton Road

1891: (Bullman’s Farm Cambridge Road)

It is possible that the Bullman’s farm listed in the 1891 census was at this location.

George Peachey, 56, general labourer, born Fulbourn

Jane, 50, born Linton

George, 21, general labourer, born Fulbourn

Alfred, 12, born Fulbourn

Emert Arthur, 10, born Fulbourn

1911:

James Doggett, 62, gardener domestic, born Chesterton

Sarah, 50, born Cambridge

Gladys Sarah, 10, born Cambridge

Amelia Parfitt, step daughter, 27, born Cambridge

Albert Sutcliffe, lodger, 25, kennel man, born Grantchester

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Arthur James Precious enlisted in the Suffolk Regiment 12/8/1914 but discharged no longer fit on 5/7/1916. His file states that he ‘has never been fit. A debilitated nervous subject.’ He served in France 1915.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

At the time of the Second World War, the Paddocks was the property of Charles James Mapey, whose company Cherry Hinton Granaries was based there. The Mapeys house, next to the site was bombed in 1941 but the family moved back in 1949. The site was sold in the late 1950s.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].