Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Jordan’s Farm, Hills Road

History of Jordan's Farm

Mid nineteenth century maps show Jordan’s Farm around this location. The farmyard was roughly where Morley School is today and was reached along a track which is today Blinco Grove.  On the north side the farm stretched as far as Rathmore Road, and on the south, as far as Cavendish Avenue.

The farm is clearly shown on the 1830 & 1836 OS map of Cambridge though unnamed.

(Source OS maps)

The 1891 census records a Jone’s farm on Hills Road. This could be the same as Jordan’s Farm. There are two households listed:

Henry Dean, 59, farm bailiff

Mary J, 62

William, 23, town postman

Ellen E, 23, daughter in law

Richard H, 1 grandson

and

William J Marshall, 30, agricultural labourer

Hannah, 30

Louisa, R

William J, 1

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].