Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Netherhall School

Notes on the history of Netherhall School Cambridge

Information about the history of the school can be found here:

http://www.netherhall.org/school-information/history

A teacher who was at the school when it opened as the Cambridge Grammar School in 1958 recalls being taken on a tour of the building by Mr Scarisbrick and the prospective staff before the school opened when it was unglazed. A number of new staff were brought in to swell the Central School staff; the new school also absorbed the ‘Grammar Stream’ from Sawston. There were a few physical hiccups early on: a gap opened between the ceiling and the wall in the Art Room, a door frame fell down after an over-firm closing of the door, and the taps in the ground floor toilets sprang off drenching boys and a master sent to investigate.

A ‘do-it-yourself’ open air swimming pool was dug. Parents provided the technical knowhow and professionals dug the hole and poured the concrete.

(source – private letter)

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Pat Chapman has lived in the area for most of her life. In 2016 she recalled how important the Youth Club at the school had been to her when she was a young woman:


 

Tags

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].