Search by topic
Search by text
The Cavendish Estate
History of the Cavendish Estate
The history of the area of development that became know as the Cavendish Estate seems to have begun around 1883. The two plans attached to the Deed of Covenant 15th October 1883 from the Trustees of John Okes deceased to Thomas Dence show the whole area of land now bounded by Hills Road in the west, Blinco Grove along the northern edge, Hills Avenue along the southern edge and Hinton Avenue along the west, divided into three parts.
The plans are interesting because they confirm that land to the north of Blinco Grove was owned by A Jones and the land to the south by Peterhouse College. A Jones was Alfred Jones who lived in Trumpington House. The location of Jone’s land is the same as that which is recorded on earlier maps as Jordan’s Farm.
There was a drain along what is now Baldock Way beween Blinco Grove and Hills Avenue. Queen Edith’s Way is decribed as ‘The Cross Road.’
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].