Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Ely Cathedral

History of Rattee and Kett, Cambridge

The Cambridge based firm of Rattee and Kett were associated with Ely Cathedral for 150 years.

One of James Rattee’s most celebrated pieces of carving was the screen at Ely Cathedral, documented in Volume IX No 441 of ‘The Builder’.

The reredos was created in 1857 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott and John Birnie Philip.

At the end of the 1980s they were involved in a major restoration programme of works to the Nave, lady Chapel, east End, South Transept and Lantern. The 14th century timber framed octagon received structural repairs while the glazing was releaded and the decorative paintwork restored.

A BBC East film about the restoration in 1987 by Rattee and Kett can be seen here:

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/5609

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].