Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Old Divinity School

History of Old Divinity School, Trinity Street

This was built by Basil Champneys in 1878-9 following a competition in 1876. Pevsner describes it as early Tudor, ‘the treatment lively and not at all pedantic ….. staircases at both ends, each an intricate play of stone shafts and vaults – forerunners of Champneys’ Rylands Library at Manchester.’

1881:

Thomas Hammond, 50, curator, b Surrey

Ann, 45, b Fulham

Frederick, 16, clerk to robemaker, b Cambridge

Thomas, 14, apprentice to chemist, b Cambridge

…………………………………………………….

1891:

……………………………………………………….

1901:

Thomas Hammond, 70, custodian, b Surrey

Annie Chapman, 44, housekeeper, b Cambs

……………………………………………………….

1911:

Frederick Harris, 45, attendant Cambridge University, b Oxford

Louisa, 45, b Cambridge

……………………………………………………….

1913: Selwyn Divinity School

Canon Henry Barclay Swete DD, Regius Professor of Divinity

Frederick Harris, attendant

J F Miller and Sons, Wine Vaults

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing [email protected].